Sunday, November 4, 2012

What are YOU thankful for?






I've noticed a trend on Facebook since November 1 that people are now typing a status each day of what they are thankful for and those who didn't jump on the boat on November 1st have posted enough to make up for their fashionably late arrival to the party.

The way it works is since Thanksgiving is November 25, it is essentially 25 things you are thankful for leading up to Thanksgiving. Seeing the majority of my friends flooding my news feed with these posts have gotten me thinking (which I think is the point?) what exactly am I thankful for?

I'm going through a rough patch in my life right now but honestly, compared to other people I still have it pretty good. I'm currently trying to stop a separation between my husband and I, since he has two daughters that we have on the weekends, while we are trying to work things out he wants me to stay somewhere else on the weekends and come visit so we don't confuse them.

So, this weekend I am staying at my friend Bri's house and we were talking last night about different things about how maybe we are the weird ones. Our idea of a party is sitting at home with a few friends, a few drinks, in front of our sewing machines or watching Netflix and perusing Pinterest while our other friends idea of partying is getting so drunk you are peeing on yourself. We actually care about our future, we don't use our prison identification card when we get carded for buying alcohol or cigarettes, we have never been arrested.

You can browse Twitter or search the hashtag #firstworldproblems, you would be amazed at what you see. I know I complain a lot just like the next person but when we sit back and think for a minute, we have a lot to be thankful for although we are usually ungrateful. While going through the separation with my husband, we have started talking about the problems that we are having and why the separation is needed. One of his complaints is that I'm ungrateful for the things he has tried to do for me, and when I go back and think it is true I've complained about a lot of things that I should be grateful for. We are by no means "well off" we struggle each week to pay bills and put food on the table. I drive a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country that is considered a "luxury vehicle" and literally has all the bells and whistles including a butt warmer. He had it before we got married and I've done nothing but complain until the last few months because it was huge and I wanted something different or I didn't want to drive a van but in all honestly, it's a whole lot better than what I had when we got married.

I had a 1988 Honda Prelude Si that I LOVED but it was a piece of crap. He drove it back and forth to work while I took the van so I would have something reliable. My Prelude was a death trap, the window was broken, no heat, no a/c, the radiator was busted, the speedometer didn't work, if you locked the door from the inside you had to crawl out the window to get out, the knob for the headlights and turn signals was broken so you had to stick the thing into the slot and turn it to make them work, one headlight wouldn't stay up on it's own, etc. We traded it in for a 2005 Jeep Liberty for my birthday that we ended up losing because we couldn't afford it anymore and I wasn't grateful that my husband had tried, he tried to save it and he tried to make me happy but I couldn't see that. All I cared about was the fact that I lost my Jeep. When we got married I got really sick and he told me to quit my job because it wasn't worth me working and when he asked me to start looking for work before he lost his job, all I did was complain that I didn't want to work and I completely regret that.

I should have done it willingly not moaning and groaning about how I didn't want to go back to work or I didn't want to do xyz job. I should be grateful that I found a job to help us survive because his unemployment wasn't going to be enough.

This post is totally not going where I had planned but I'm going to run with it. 

My birthday present this past year was a sewing machine that he bought for me with HIS birthday money. If it hadn't been for that I would not be as big into crafting as I am now. No matter the problems we have, I love him more than ever and I guess through this post that has taken a turn from "what are you thankful for" to explaining and pouring my heart out about how I've been such an ungrateful bitch for the last year I've realized that I have a lot to be thankful for and I need to change my attitude.

I know this blog is supposed to be about crafting and keeping our sanity but sometimes you just need to roll with the punches and do what has been laid on your heart and our your mind.

I know my husband will never read this blog and gets frustrated by my crafting and the amount of money I spend on craft supplies and craft shows, so some of you may wonder why I typed all this out. There is a big difference between talking about something and actually typing it out. When I talk I sometimes stammer and stutter but when I type the words just flow from my fingers like nothing can stop them.


I think I can go ahead and summarize what I'm thankful for right now and I will try and narrow them down to 10:
1. I am thankful that God has a purpose for my life and although I do not always see it I know there is a reason I am still here. I was born with severe heart problems and my parents were told that I would not survive, I am now 21 years old.

2. I am thankful for my husband and step daughters. Although we have rough patches, I know in my heart he loves me and they love me and things will work out. I am thankful that he has put up with my ungratefulness this long.

3. I am thankful that I have friends that I can count on even if there are just two or three of them.

4. I am thankful for my ability to craft that I inherited from my grandparents. Crafting helps save my sanity and provides a little bit of income.

5. I am thankful for my manager, he gave me a job when my family was struggling and getting ready to lose everything. Although we are still struggling and on the verge of losing our house, at least I am bringing in some income. He is also a great person for me to talk to and has helped me through a lot lately.

6. I am thankful for having gone through the abuse that I have been through. It may seem weird to say I am thankful for it but since I have gone through the emotional, physical, and sexual abuse I have been able to help others.

7. I am thankful for our fans and followers. Without you, we would have empty walls to talk to and share our creations and failures with.

8. I am thankful for my customers at work who try their best day in and day out to brighten my day and make me smile when they know I am having a day from hell.

9. I am thankful for the opportunities I have had thus far and the experiences and memories I have made. Without those, I would not where where I am today.

10. I am thankful that I live in United States of America and that I have the freedom to do most of what I want. If I lived in another country, I might not  be able to have a blog and share my thoughts with the world or share and sell my crafts.

Now back to the original question... What are YOU thankful for?

Let us know in the comments, we would love to hear it.

Until next time, Stay crafty my friends...
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment